So, let’s look at the initial UK data for the IB Diploma Programme and compare it to global IB trends (and it should be noted that at the time of composing this blog, the UK was the only country for which such data was available):
- UK National IB DP Data: 4,850 students took the IB Diploma Programme qualification – this figure includes both private and state schools.
- Average UK IB Diploma grade: The IB DP is graded from 7 (highest) to1 (lowest). This year’s UK average grade was 5.51. Globally, the figure was 4.84. Due to grade adjustment to 2019 (pre-Covid) grade boundaries, the UK 2023 grade average was slightly below the 5.75 of 2022. This was due to a wider International Baccalaureate Organisation grading adjustment instruction, which reduced all national grades globally.
- Average UK IB Diploma points score: The average UK points score was 34.67, down slightly on 2022’s average of 36.5. This again mirrors a global reduction to 30.24, from last year’s 31.98.
- UK IB Diploma pass rate: The 2023 UK pass rate was 94.7%. This is significantly above the global average of 79.3%.
- UK IB DP students gaining top scores: The maximum of 45 points was achieved by 25 out of 4,850 IB DP students. A further 774 students gained 40 or more points, a drop from 1,252 in 2023.
- Further IB DP information: It should be noted 108 schools and colleges were entered for the IB DP in 2023. This is 10 fewer than last year, with several state schools withdrawing from the programme. As a result, 400 less students took the qualification in 2023, than in 2022.
- Contextual UK and Global Comparison: It is therefore clear that the drop in grades from 2022 to 2023, is partly due to wider International Baccalaureate Organisation grade readjustment following the Covid era. While the UK average pass has dropped by 2.8%, the global average has dropped significantly by 6.3%.
Turning to global IB figures, including the IB DP and IB CP:
- International Baccalaureate globally: 179,917 students worldwide receive their Diploma Programme (DP) and Career-related Programme (CP) results from the May 2023 examination session. This is an increase of 3.47% in candidates, when compared to 2022.
So, how can Education Advisers help you?:
- Education Advisers was founded in 2004, and offers impartial and expert advice to parents, assisting families to find places for their children at IB private schools and colleges, in the UK, Europe, and the rest of the world. Please follow ib-schools.com for more information
- Please contact us directly for a free Zoom call, so that we can assist with your choice of school or college for your son or daughter.
- Just call +44 1622 813870 or email us on email@example.com
Hallahan. G. Times Education Supplement (online). ‘IB results 2023: UK beats global average’. 5th July 2023.
International Baccalaureate Organisation (online). ‘IB students worldwide receive their results’. 5th July 2023.